Monday, November 15, 2010

Cats show perfect balance even in their lapping

Sophie Moynihan
7B
Current Event

Cartoon, books, and just about every story about cats depicts a scene of a cat lapping their milk. Another feline stereo-type of cats is that they always have perfect balance. What do these two stereo types have to do with each other? Researchers from MIT, Virginia Tech and Princeton University have looked into this question, and can give you an answer. When cats drink their milk, they form there tong into a shape like a backwards J to get the milk into their mouth. Recent studies show that cat's don't actually dip their tong in the milk, they only lightly brush it with the tip of their tong. While doing this, the milk forms a wake. When the cat stops moving its tong, the inertia keeps the milk moving. It then fills the gap that is forms by the backwards J. The cat then draws its tong up to its mouth, without spilling milk on it's chin. Roman Stocker of MIT's Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), Pedro Reis of CEE and the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Sunghwan Jung of Virginia Tech's Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics, and Jeffrey Aristoff of Princeton's Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering all helped film several other big cats (Jaguars,Tigers, ect.) drinking to see if it was a shared genetic between cats. The scientists studied the videos and came up with a formula for the ways cats drink."The amount of liquid available for the cat to capture each time it closes its mouth depends on the size and speed of the tongue. Our research -- the experimental measurements and theoretical predictions -- suggests that the cat chooses the speed in order to maximize the amount of liquid ingested per lap," said Aristoff, a mathematician who studies liquid surfaces. "This suggests that cats are smarter than many people think, at least when it comes to hydrodynamics."

I choose this article to show that we can make adaption big or small. It can be as simple as having a whole formula devised so you don't spill any milk on your chin. This article didn't really interest me, I'm not a cat person, but I feel like it did make a point about adaption.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101111141806.htm

1 comment:

  1. Geez, Soph! How is this not interesting???? I've noticed that my friends and relatives' dogs always spill water on their chins when drinking, and I've kind of found this rather gross, and now that I think about it, I've NEVER seen my cat spill water on his chin. It's amazing! I'm so glad I read this. Maybe it's just because I'm a cat person, but I think that this was really interesting, and it's a good thing to know.

    ReplyDelete